Actress in a Comedy Series
Laura Linney – The Big C
Edie Falco – Nurse Jackie
Amy Poehler – Parks and Recreation
Melissa McCarthy – Mike and Molly
Martha Plimpton – Raising Hope
Tina Fey – 30 Rock
- Obvious Picks: Fey, Falco, Linney
- Snubbed: Lea Michele (but I’m not that sad about it, to be honest. She was grating this season on Glee)
- It’s great to see Poehler nominated for the second year running. I think she could be a darkhorse to win the category.
- Plimpton is great on Raising Hope, and I’m pleasantly surprised by her nomination
- I don’t watch Mike and Molly, but McCarthy seems like the biggest surprise in this category. She was hilarious in Bridesmaids, though, so I’m sure she’s deserving.
Actor in a Comedy Series
Matt Le Blanc – Episodes
Jim Parsons – The Big Bang Theory
Steve Carell – The Office
Johnny Galecki – The Big Bang Theory
Louie C.K. – Louie
Alec Baldwin – 30 Rock
- Obvious Picks: Baldwin, Carell, Parsons
- Snubbed: Matthew Morrison, I guess? (Though I was never sure why he got nominated last year)
- LeBlanc and especially Louie C.K. are slightly surprising since their shows are pretty under-the-radar
- I like that Galecki finally got some recognition, too.
- Since it was his last season on The Office and he’s never won, this will probably be Carell’s year. It’s a bit of a weak year for this category, so he doesn’t have a lot of competition.
Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Jane Lynch – Glee
Betty White – Hot in Cleveland
Julie Bowen – Modern Family
Kristen Wiig – Saturday Night Live
Jane Krakowski – 30 Rock
Sofia Vergara – Modern Family
- This was a fairly predictable category, but pretty deserving all around (But Hot in Cleveland? Really?)
- I think this category is actually pretty wide open. Lynch wasn’t featured as much on this season of Glee, and they turned her character into more of a caricature. Plus, the show is obviously losing traction with the Emmy’s. No one else has won before, so it could be anyone. Forced to predict a winner, I’d go with Vergara. (I don’t particularly like her on Modern Family, but other people seem to.)
Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
John Cryer – Two and a Half Men
Chris Colfer – Glee
Jesse Tyler Ferguson – Modern Family
Ed O’Neill – Modern Family
Eric Stonestreet – Modern Family
Ty Burrell – Modern Family
- Obvious Picks: Colfer, Stonestreet, Burrell
- Snubs: Neil Patrick Harris, Nick Offerman (Whyyyy! He’s so good!)
- Ugh, I have some beefs with this category. Are we seriously still nominating Two and a Half Men for stuff? Is this some kind of pity nomination for Cryer because he had to work with Charlie Sheen all of these years? He’s funny on the show, but that show is way past its “prime”, and he already has his Emmy.
- I’m happy to see Ferguson, Stonestreet, and Burrell all get nominated, but I was fine with snubbing O’Neill last year. I really don’t like him on the show.
- If Burrell, Ferguson, or Colfer win, I will be a very happy camper. They are all fantastic.
- I’m going to predict Burrell for the win (wishful thinking?), but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Colfer won.
Parks and Recreation
The Big Bang Theory
- I LOVE that Parks and Recreation got recognized. It was on fire this season.
- I understand nominating Steve Carell, but The Office totally doesn’t deserve this nomination. I didn’t watch much of it this year, but I was extremely unimpressed from what I did see. It’s been on the decline for a few seasons now, and it hit a new low this year IMO.
- Community may have been a bit inconsistent this year, but it would have been a way more deserving nomination. I’m not that surprised that it got snubbed, but I’m sure all the fanboys are fuming right now.
Random thoughts on the other nominations (because I am uncultured and don’t watch any fancy drama shows):
- Big thumbs up to Matt Damon getting nominated for Guest Comedy Actor on 30 Rock. Zach Galifianakis is also deserving for his hosting stint on SNL.
- Mad Men is definitely deserving of its mountain of nominations. All four nominated actors are great!
- It’s great to see Friday Night Lights finally get nominated for Best Drama Series (I’m only at the third season, though, so I can’t say whether or not it deserved its nomination this year. But I’m going to guess yes.) Any chance Kyle Chandler and/or Connie Britton can beat out all the Emmy vets and win for their last season?
- CAT DEELY for Best Reality Host!!! Yay! She was long, long overdue. Jesse Tyler Ferguson (who was a lovely, hilarious judge last night on So You Think You Can Dance) was saying that he hoped she’d be nominated, so I imagine there will be much shoulder-patting on tonight’s show.
- And speaking of SYTYCD, they picked some great routines in the choreography category. Stacey Tookey’s “Mad World”, Tabitha and Napoleon’s “Outta Your Mind”, and Travis Wall’s “Fix You” were all very memorable.
- Nice to see Conan O’Brien and Jimmy Fallon in the variety series category (Colbert, too, but that was less surprising)
- I really enjoy the fact that the “Jack Sparrow” song from SNL is nominated in the Original Music and Lyrics category (as is “I Just Had Sex” and “3-Way”)